The Importance of Electrical Wiring In Your Home

You probably give little thought to the electrical wiring in your house, unless you are faced with an electrical problem. However, its importance cannot be understated, especially as part of life in the 21st Century. With properly installed electrical wiring, we can enjoy access in our home to numerous appliances, lighting, heating and cooling – all of which are now vital in terms of living standards.

If installed properly by your local electrician, it will provide years of reliable and safe electricity. However, we often take such wiring for granted. Wiring will always face wear and tear and problems can still arise on occasion. Thankfully, dangers of electric used have been minimised by advancements such as circuit breakers and proper insulation. But, when you are faced with a problem, it requires a professional to address them appropriately. The NICEIC (a regulatory body for the UK’s electrical sector) advises that a full inspection of your electrical system is a necessity every 5 years and every time there is a change of occupancy on a rental property.

There are a number of potential problems that you can face with your electrical wiring in your home and here are the warning signs you should look out for:

Burning Smells
If you notice any burning smells in your home that you cannot locate, in particular if they are bitter and unpleasant smelling, please turn off your circuit breaker and contact your local electrician immediately as it could be dangerous.

Buzzing Sounds
Safe and efficient electrical wiring should make no noise at all. If you can hear a buzzing noise then that means there is something affecting the current. For example, this could be due to frayed wires or loose connections. This can often be traced to a specific outlet. Do not attempt to look at the outlet as you could easily be electrocuted. Instead, get in touch with your local electrician.

Lights That Dim or Flicker
An occasional flicker of your household lights tends to be nothing to worry about. However, if you notice that it is happening on a regular basis it could be an issue that requires expert electrical services. Your electrical wiring could be faulty, your circuit could be overloaded, or your circuit breaker may need replacing. Your local electrician will be able to diagnose and address the problem for you.

Fuses and Circuit Breakers That Consistently Trip or Blow
By overloading your circuit with too many appliances that exceed the amps, you can cause a circuit breaker to trip. This causes the power supply to be cut off, or can also cause a fuse to blow. Every now and then you may find that something will trip your electric. However, if you find that the circuit hasn’t been overloaded but a fuse or breaker keeps blowing, it is best to contact your local electrician so they van make an assessment.

Electrical wiring, once acknowledged in its importance, can become slightly overwhelming. However, it is important to note that you should not attempt to do your own electrical wiring. Working with electricity can be, needless to say, very dangerous. If it is not approached with the correct knowledge, skills and experience, it may not only incur extra cost, but can prove to be life threatening.

At Smoothe Consulting, we have the knowledge and experience to make sure your electrical wiring is safe and can address any potential problems you may have. We provide reliable and exceptional work to Great Yarmouth and the surrounding areas. If you are seeking professional electrical services near you, please get in touch with the Smoothe Consulting team today.